Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Weekly Update 3

Highlights!!

This last week was crazy, but I have had a wonderful time engaging with the students. They seem to know me now as a real person, instead of the stranger who sits in the back of the room and takes notes. I love helping out and I feel so grown up being called Miss Murphy. My favorite part about this week was getting responses from students who normally are quiet in the class. (mostly the girls) My mentor teacher hypothesizes that this maybe because I am a female teacher and the shy students see compassion from my gender stereotype. I don't know how to feel about this, but it is interesting to think about how different students will act with different teachers.

Something that makes me think differently about teaching:

GRADING!!! IT TAKES WAY LONGER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD!

A Practice that I wish to Adopt!!!!

My teacher really makes connections for the students when concepts are new or difficult to understand. He does this by telling funny stories that are entertaining and useful to the students. He brings them up in different contexts and they can use these stories to connect new information.

Conflicting situations:

The students I have found really like to do whatever they can to not do work. My favorite way that they choose to not do work, is to keep asking for clarification to every single aspect.


No comments:

Post a Comment